Saturday, March 4, 2017

A Kudjip Welcome


       Only a week after receiving my Visa and booking flights, I was off to Papua New Guinea. The last week seemed like a whirlwind. On Tuesday, I found out my Visa had been approved and processed at the PNG embassy in Washington DC. On Wednesday, after ensuring my passport was in the mail, I booked my flights to PNG. Thursday and Friday were a rush to pack and finish all the necessary business stateside – closing accounts, finishing new hire paperwork, etc. On Saturday, my parents and I drove 8 hours to the desert of southern California for my grandmother’s 90th birthday  celebration and a family reunion.  I praised God for the opportunity to see most of the family before my departure. 

          
 On Monday, we drove the 8 hours home again, dodging rainstorms and road closures from flooding and mudslides. Then on Tuesday, exactly one week after my visa was finalized, we made our way to the San Jose airport with three 50-lb checked bags, a carry-on and a personal item. We arrived super early because 3 of the 4 routes connecting my hometown to San Jose were closed due to flooding or mudslides, and Mom and Dad didn’t want to get stuck  in rush hour traffic on the only highway (which was closed to one-lane only) on the way home. 





     After 4 flights and 27 hours of travel time (via Los Angeles, Brisbane, and Port Moresby), I arrived in Mt. Hagen and was greeted by my missionary orientation mentor, Dr. Susan Myers.  
          













            

        
      Upon arrival at Kudjip station, a colorful banner made by the elementary school kids greeted me from the porch of my new home. A group of missionaries gathered too to welcome me to the community. I am blown away by the time and energy everyone put into building, decorating and stocking my new home, affectionately known as “The Blue House”.   


   













After a much-appreciated shower and a good night sleep, I was off again in the morning for the next adventure: Cultural Orientation. Dr. Erin, a long term medical missionary; Gabriel Mahisu, the Rural Health Director; his wife, Emelyn, my language tutor; their friend Robin; and I boarded a small MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship) aircraft headed to the rural village of Sangapi in the rugged mountains north of Kudjip. We would spend the next week there, Dr. Erin working in the health clinic, and I learning language and culture through emersion. More details to come in the next blog post. For a sneak peak, check out Erin’s blog.  





3 comments:

  1. Your trip sounded tiring and exhilarating all at the same time!
    The banner on your railing so beautiful! And your blue house so quaint! A perfect place to hang your single!
    May you enjoy every minute, every challenge & discovery!I can't wait for your next post.
    God bless!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! They built you a house? Those look like some nice digs! What a wonderful community you've joined =).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house belongs to the hospital/mission, I'm just renting it while I'm here. But it is newly built and I'm the first to live in it. 8-)

      Delete