Saturday, April 15, 2017

Diwai Kros


Christ is Risen! He is risen indeed! This morning, we celebrated Easter with a sunrise service overlooking the beautiful Jordan Valley and River Kane. Various missionaries read accounts from the perspectives of different disciples and women who were present at the crucifixion and resurrection. Later, we worshipped with our PNG brothers and sisters at Immanuel, the Tok Pisin church near station, where we partook of communion. As I reflected on Christ’s sacrifice for me, I realized that during the past 7 weeks while I’ve been transitioning to life in PNG, I have been trying to do many things in my own strength. Many times I have realized that I am not strong enough, I am not smart enough, I am not talented enough. But praise God, because he did not wait for us to be good enough. He sent Jesus to accomplish what we in our weakness could never do. Through the shedding of Jesus’ blood we are reconciled to God. By his resurrection and triumph over death, we are given new life. Praise God! Despite our limitations, He chooses to work through us each and every day. “But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.” (2 Corinthians 4:7).

This beautiful Tok Pisin song has been running through my head this week:
(sung to the tune “Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross”)

1.     Mi tingting long Kalvari,  (I think of Calvary)
Blut b’long Krais wasim mi,  (The blood of Christ washes me)
Rausim sin na klinim mi.  (It removes sin and cleanses me)
Tenkyu tru long Kalv’ri (Thank you very much for Calvary)

(Chorus)
Diwai kros, Diwai kros (The cross, the cross)
Diwai kros b’long Kalvri (the cross of Calvary)
Diwai kros i soim mi (the cross shows me)
Rot I painim heven  (the road that finds heaven)

2.     Mi rabisman bilong sin, (I was a worthless sinner)
Mi kam long diwai kros. (I came to the cross)
Sori bilong God i bin (The compassion of God has)
Mekim bel b’long me klin (Made my heart clean)

3.      Mi tingting long Jisas Krais, (I think of Jesus Christ)
Mi bilip na mi stap (I believe and I am)
Wetim Jisas bai i kam,  (Waiting for Jesus who will come)
Bringim mi long antap. (to bring me above)


The English translation does not do justice to the beautiful heartfelt chords with which is sung by the people here. My heart sings out with theirs: because of the cross, Christ has made me clean and shown me the way of life.


May you celebrate the hope and joy of Easter today and all through the year.  

2 comments: